Quiz: Are You Addicted To Sugar?
by Jari Love
Is your relationship with sugar pretty much fine, totally out of whack, or somewhere in between (say, “it’s complicated”)? Our throwback-style quiz—devised with the help of registered dietitian Ilyse Schapiro—will help you figure out the answer.
- How often do you eat or drink sugary foods or beverages (including ones made with no-calorie sweeteners)?
- What’s your typical breakfast like?
- How much sugar or sweetener do you usually add to your coffee?
- How often do you go out of your way to get something sugary—like stopping at the store just to buy candy?
- Do you hide sugary foods to eat later?
- Do you ever feel powerless in front of sugary foods or foods made with refined flour, like white bread?
- While indulging, do you ever tell yourself that this is the “last time” you’ll ever eat like this?
OK! Now it’s time to add up your score. If you got…
Mostly As: You may be immortal.
You’re definitely not addicted to sugar. In fact, it sounds like you’re practically immune to the sweet stuff altogether, which makes us wonder if you’re even human. What’s your secret?
Mostly Bs: You and sugar are a-OK.
Congratulations! It sounds like you have a healthy relationship with sugar. You enjoy sweet stuff when you’re in the mood, but dessert doesn’t rule your life. So don’t try to cut back—it might end up backfiring by making you feel deprived. “Treat yourself to one small thing per day. If you allow yourself that one treat, you won’t feel like you’re missing out and you’ll be less likely to binge,” says Schapiro.
Mostly Cs: You’re a sugar fiend.
Addiction might be a strong word, but it sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with sugar. Instead of trying to quit cold turkey, try working with a dietitian to help you scale back on the sweet stuff gradually (like, by using just two packets in your coffee instead of three, or doing dessert three times a week instead of every night). “If you just cut it out, you’ll be thinking about it constantly and it will run your life,” says Schapiro.
Jari Love – original creator of Get RIPPED! DVD series and group exercise classes. The hot-selling and critically acclaimed Get RIPPED! series enables individuals of any fitness level to burn up to three times more calories than the traditional weight-training program, and has received rave reviews from fitness critics throughout North America since the first title debuted in late 2005.