Red Lentil Dhal
This dhal has a very simple texture and yet is intricately and authentically flavored with Indian spices. If you have never tried dhal before, this recipe will make it a memorable experience. Take the opportunity to experiment with the amount of chili flakes you add according to how spicy you like your food. With or without the extra spice, it is a delightful companion to basmati rice.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp black mustard seed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 two-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 6 cups of water
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ cups Swiss chard, washed and chopped
- Sliced lemons to garnish
- In a medium pot, add olive oil and sauté spices.
- Add garlic, onion and ginger and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let cook for a few more minutes.
- Add water, lentils and salt. Raise to high heat till boiling, then lower to simmer and cook until lentils are tender.
- Add tomato paste and chard. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
*Can use more or less water for desired thickness. Serve with lemon slices.