Kale & Brussels Sprout Slaw
by Jari Love
This kale and Brussels sprout slaw is a healthy and tasty alternative to regular coleslaw.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 3 cups raw Brussels sprouts
- 1 large bunch green kale, stems removed
- 3 green onions, diced
- Toasted almonds chopped
For the salad dressing:
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (45 g/1.5 oz) fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive or almond oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
For the dressing:
- In a food processor, add garlic, mustard, honey, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and basil. Purée until almost smooth.
- With the blender running on low, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Purée until thick and smooth.
- Will keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For the salad:
- In 350 degree oven, spread almonds on baking tray and toast almonds until lightly browned 10-12 mins. Remove from the heat, set aside and allow to cool.
- Grate the Brussels sprouts, or using a food processor fitted with the thin slicing blade, shred the Brussels sprouts.
- Roughly shred or chop the kale leaves. Add kale and Brussels sprouts to a large salad bowl. Stir in the diced green onions.
- Make dressing.
- Pour over the salad dressing and toss to combine. Let the salad sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins or overnight. This salad can be made the day before. Toss with the almonds before serving.
Jari Love – original creator of Get RIPPED! DVD series and group exercise classes. The hot-selling and critically acclaimed Get RIPPED! series enables individuals of any fitness level to burn up to three times more calories than the traditional weight-training program, and has received rave reviews from fitness critics throughout North America since the first title debuted in late 2005.