Zucchini Tortillas Recipe
by Jari Love
You’ve probably already made zucchini bread, maybe zucchini chocolate muffins, and you’ve definitely added some to all of your savory meals. But have you tried zucchini tortillas?
Over at White on Rice Couple, they came up with an ingenious way to use up this bountiful summer veggie. And unlike yet another loaf of zucchini bread, this one is unlike anything you’ve seen before.
Grated zucchini is mixed with egg, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and spices, spread into rounds on parchment paper, then baked until they hold together. You can use the resulting zucchini wraps for tacos and burritos, obviously, but they would also make a fabulous wrap for falafel, chicken salad or basically anything you would normally use a tortilla or flatbread for.
And, of course, they’re a lot healthier than their refined white flour counterparts, offering extra vitamins and fiber to your meal.
Zucchini Tortillas Recipe
- 4 cups (950ml) zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (120ml) grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60ml) bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Remove as much moisture as you can from the zucchini. Add zucchini to large bowl and mix in remainder of the taco shell ingredients (egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cumin).
- Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or oven proof baking mat. Scoop about ¼ cup of mixture and press down on baking pan into a thin circle, about 5” wide. Repeat for remainder of mixture.
- Bake shells for about 25 minutes, or until the shells look “crisp’ and brown around the edges. We like to bake the shells a little longer for a more charred texture and flavor. Just be careful to not bake too long or else the shells dry out and are hard to peel off.
- After zucchini soft taco shells are cool, gently peel them off the parchment paper.
- For a video on how to make them, visit White on Rice Couple.
For a video on how to make them, visit White on Rice Couple.
Jari Love – original creator of Get RIPPED! DVD series and group exercise classes. The hot-selling and critically acclaimed Get RIPPED! series enables individuals of any fitness level to burn up to three times more calories than the traditional weight-training program, and has received rave reviews from fitness critics throughout North America since the first title debuted in late 2005.