Lentil Veggie Soup Recipe
by Kathy Smith
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts)
- 3 C. kale (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted in this recipe)
- 8 C. water
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2”
- 1/2 C. Lentils (brown or green)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 C. (1 oz.) grated parmesan
1. Slice each leek in half lengthwise, and then slice each half into 1/4” thigh half-moons (apx. 2 cups). Place in a large bowl of cold water and swish to remove any grit. Drain and pat dry.
2. Remove the stems from the kale, stack the leaves on top of one another and slice them crosswise into 1/4” wide strips.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 3 mins. Add the tomatoes and cook, breaking them apart with a spoon for 5 mins. Add the water and bring to a boil. Stir in kale, sweet potatoes, lentils, thyme, salt, pepper and basil. Simmer until lentils are tender, about 30-40 mins.
Kathy Smith, New York Times bestselling author, has stood at the forefront of the fitness and health industries for over 30 years. The numbers speak for themselves: Kathy has sold more than 20 million exercise DVDs - landing her in the Video Hall of Fame - and $500 million in Kathy Smith products. With her revolutionary approach to fitness, Smith has touched millions of people, inspiring them to move, live, and love.