Vegan Meatless Meatballs
by Kathy Smith
ITALIAN LENTIL QUINOA MEATBALLS
From Stacey Homemaker
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for cooking onions + 2-3 Tbsp for sautéing lentil balls
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ Tbsp Italian seasonings
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, ground to a fine powder
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced + extra for garnish
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the lentils, cook according to package. (I let them cook a few extra minutes to make it easier to mash.) Drain the excess water, transfer to a large bowl and mash with the back of a fork until you don’t see anymore whole beans.
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Cook according to package directions, add to the bowl with the mashed lentils.
- Mince onion, saute in olive oil in a large pan, over medium heat for 8 minutes. Add onions to the bowl with lentils and quinoa. Don’t wash or drain the pan because you’re going to cook the lentil balls in the reserved onion infused olive oil.
- Use a food processor to blend the sunflower seeds to a fine powder, add to the bowl.
- Add basil, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, salt and pepper to lentil mix. Using your hands, mix until everything is completely combined.
- If the mixture feels dry to you, add 1 tbsp olive oil to the mixture.
- Form medium sized balls and shape with your hands. Once all balls are shaped, add a little more olive oil to the pan and arrange your lentil balls in the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes, occasionally turning the balls to let all sides brown. They’re delicate, so be careful when rotating. I use rubber tongs to handle them in the pan.
- Serve immediately over any kind of pasta.
Kathy Smith, New York Times bestselling author, has stood at the forefront of the fitness and health industries for over 30 years. The numbers speak for themselves: Kathy has sold more than 20 million exercise DVDs - landing her in the Video Hall of Fame - and $500 million in Kathy Smith products. With her revolutionary approach to fitness, Smith has touched millions of people, inspiring them to move, live, and love.