For your Thanksgiving Table
Cranberry sauce was a staple at the Thanksgiving table when I was a kid, though it usually came out of a can. Then, at some point, we started making it, but the recipe called for a lot of sugar! For those who haven't tried them, plain cranberries are very tart, so I wasn't sure this recipe would be able to be made healthy, but some other delicious fruits filled in the gaps. It does have more natural sugars than we normally eat, but is a healthier option to the ones that actually contain sugar.
Prep time 15 min. Cook time 15 min. Total time 30 min.
A homemade alternative to store-bought cranberry sauce with delicious hints of pineapple and orange to complement the flavor!
- 2 bags of fresh cranberries (they are usually 12 ounce bags)
- ¾ cup pineapple juice or orange juice (I recommend pineapple!)
- ½ cup of applesauce (no sugar added)
- ½ cup of water
- juice and zest of one orange
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons of honey or to taste (optional)
- Put cranberries, pineapple juice, applesauce and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Keep on medium heat, stirring constantly until the cranberries start to explode (about 10-15 minutes).
- Reduce to a simmer and pour the juice and zest over the cranberry mixture.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Cool completely and store in fridge at least 4 hours but preferably overnight before serving.
Gilad also has an Ask Gilad Blog here at Collage Video! Have a question for Gilad? Click HERE and send it in! Gilad will choose one question each week to answer.
Find out more information about Gilad and his Fitness DVD's HERE.
Gilad's New blog, Healthy Tips & Recipes is now posted.
Find it HERE.