Low-carb cinnamon apples with vanilla sauce
- 2½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 apples, preferably a type that is firm and tart, for example Gravensteiner or Granny Smith
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bring ½ cup whipping cream, butter, vanilla and optional star anise to a boil in a small saucepan, over medium heat. Lower the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes or more until the sauce turns creamy.
- Remove from the heat and remove the star anise. Add the yolk while whisking vigorously. Place in a cool place and let cool completely. You can prepare the flavored cream up to 1 day before, and refrigerate.
- Whisk the remaining 2 cups of heavy whipping cream in a bowl, and mix into the refrigerated cream.
- Place in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or more. You can place them in dessert bowls to make the vanilla sauce thicken up faster.
- Wash the apples and peel them if you want to but there's really no need for that. The peel adds color, flavor and texture.
- Core the apple and slice thinly. Heat the butter in a frying pan and brown the slices golden. Add cinnamon towards the end.
- Serve the apples warm with the vanilla sauce.
Gilad also has an Ask Gilad Blog here at Collage Video! Have a question for Gilad? Click HERE and send it in! Gilad will choose one question each week to answer.
Find out more information about Gilad and his Fitness DVD's HERE.