THIS WEEK’S “ASK GILAD” BLOG
Question: Can you explain why form is so important when exercising?
Answer: I can't emphasize enough what an important part form plays in performing exercises, not only for the effectiveness of the exercise but also for safety and injury prevention. For example, when you are doing conditioning exercises such as squats, lunges, calf raises and all the standing shoulders, arms and chest moves here are some basic guidelines to follow:
1. Always keep your abdominals pulled in to help support your back.
2. Unless otherwise directed, keep your feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent and back flat.
3. Complete one breath for each repetition of an exercise. Exhale during the contraction of the muscle and inhale when the muscle relaxes.
4. Avoid arching the neck and back.
5. Avoid 'locking' any joint.
6. Always maintain good alignment and technique and complete the largest range of motion possible for each exercise.